President’s Welcome #
Dear Abingdon Friends and Families,
I am excited to welcome you to the 2022-2023 school year and I am humbled to lead our PTA. As Abingdon Cardinals prepare to soar off to a new school year, your new Abingdon PTA board is excited to see you at the school events, activities, and programs that we are planning for your students. Many of our events rely heavily on volunteers — we are always grateful for our families, staff, and organizations who help build and strengthen our school community. As I have learned from shoveling wood chips at one of our school garden workdays, many hands make light work. Kindly join our PTA volunteer team by filling out our new volunteer form.
Together, our partnership creates truly memorable experiences for our children. Please stay informed by visiting our newly-launched multilingual website https://www.abingdonpta.org, following us on social media on Facebook and Twitter, and reaching out to [email protected] with any questions or comments.
I hope to see you at the Back-to-School picnic. Wishing you a terrific school year!
Save the Dates #
- PTA Back-to-School Picnic — Saturday, August 20, 2022 (10 am – 12 pm)
- Abingdon Open House — Thursday, August 25, 2022 (1-2:30 pm for PreK and Kindergarten; 1:30-3 pm for Grades 1-5)
- PTA Tears & Cheers Coffee — Monday, August 29, 2022 (7:30 am – 8:30 am)
- First Day of School (K-12) — Monday, August 29, 2022 (new start time 7:50 am)
- First Day of School PreK & VPI — Tuesday, August 30, 2022
- Labor Day Holiday — Friday/Monday, September 2 & 5, 2022
- Abingdon Back-to-School Night — Thursday, September 8, 2022 (Timing TBD)
- First PTA General Membership Meeting — Monday, September 12, 2022 (7 pm – 8:30 pm)
- Abingdon Fall Picture Day — Thursday, September 15, 2022
You can also view and subscribe to our calendar on our new website at https://www.abingdonpta.org/calendar.
Friendly Reminder: New School Start and End Times #
- The Abingdon school day is now 7:50 a.m. – 2:40 p.m.
- Early Release days at Abingdon are 7:50 a.m. – 12:26 p.m.
Volunteer Opportunities #
We need your help with the following:
- PTA Back-to-School Picnic — Please contact Meredith Greene at [email protected] to assist with setup, bringing ice, or cleanup.
- Abingdon Community Garden — If you’re interested in volunteering in the school garden to support Abingdon’s Eco Action Team, please click on the link here.
Job Opportunity #
Baroody Camps, Inc. is looking to hire an On-Site Enrichment Coordinator to oversee all after school enrichment activities at Abingdon Elementary every day this school year. Pay is $20 per hour and it is typically 2 hours of work per day. This part-time staffer will provide oversight and safety for our students as they participate in our enrichment programs. Please contact [email protected] for more information and/or submit your resume and cover letter for consideration.
Abingdon Elementary is seeking donations of shade tents to use during recess. If you have a new or gently used shade tent to give to the school, please reach out to us at [email protected].
Harris Teeter Rebates #
Abingdon PTA participates in Harris Teeter’s Together in Education Program. Help raise money for Abingdon by linking your VIC Card Abingdon Elementary (5748). Please encourage friends, families, and neighbors to also link their VIC Card as well. When shopping for Harris Teeter products with your VIC Card, a percentage of your purchase will be donated to Abingdon Elementary through our PTA. Abingdon supporters are required to re-link their VIC Card every year. If you’d like to link your VIC Card, click here.
Labeling Students’ Personal Items #
Please label all of your student’s belongings (e.g., backpack, lunchbox, water bottle, and winter jacket) with their name. Labeling items can expedite the process of returning a lost item to its owner.
Cardinal’s Summer #
Our Cardinal mascot wanted us to share the following summer photos with you:
The Abingdon Cardinal is eager to fly back to see the flock!